Total Pageviews

Welcome to Dake's Blog

This blog is designed to give you updates on Dake as he enters his journey to Johns Hopkins/Kennedy Krieger Institue Center in Baltimore, Maryland. This is a clinical trial in research focusing on the heart of Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy patients. This is not a treatment, it is research. Dake chose to participate in hopes for himself and for those who unfortunately follow behind him.



I will also share a little into our lives. Dake wants his story told....



The good, the bad and the ugly......

For more information on the research at Johns Hopkins on Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy scroll to bottom of the blog.



Sunday, June 12, 2011

Gotta GO!...Gotta GO!

         We started our journey back home after having an amazing time with family and sharing in the union of my nephew and new niece marry. Dake did an awesome job in the wedding after worrying he was going to mess it up somehow.  I assured him even if he fell out of chair and rolled down the aisle my nephew and his bride would not care....they just wanted to get married!.  LUCKILY, he did really well with  no falling out of his chair or rolling . He just wanted it to be perfect for them.  It was rather entertaining as the two flower girls did everything precious down the aisle. One of them was lounging back with her arms as she watched the ceremony while her sister ran to find momma.  They were adorable.  Their mom was not so sure but they were.
           As we traveled homeward, we needed to take a bathroom break after two hours into the trip.  We stopped a rest stop in Georgia. Rest stops are a good place because the newer facilities  sometimes have family restrooms.  You know the restrooms with a single commode, with a changing table for diaper changing.  There is usually extra room for a stroller or a wheelchair.  Unfortunately, this particular one was older and did not have a family restroom.  We load Dake back into the van and head down the interstate to look for a store or place with one of these restrooms. He tried not to think about needing to go as we rushed.  On the way everyone in the van watched for billboards for a Target.  Most Targets have family restrooms.  We did not find one but did find a Barnes and Nobles. B and N in our local area has a single restroom and it would work great since I needed to accompany David and Dake into the restroom to help.  We got in the store and found the restroom but it is not a single room.  It is a several stall kind of restroom....but there was not any traffic at the time.
                 You know when you were a kid  how you always wondered what the opposite sex's bathroom looked like.....even to the point of daring your friend to go peep or even push someone in as you walk by?  Well, I think I can say with confidence I have seen more men's restrooms than the average gal. (not something to brag about believe me.)  
                  The routine is David goes in and checks if the coast is clear and signals for me to come in if it is.  My mom stoods outside the door and waits just in case a male wants to enter while I am in there helping with Dake. (Bless her heart she did not know she would have to do guard duty on this trip but was a trooper nonetheless.) David picks Dake up and I quickly help with his pants. Get him situated and run out while David stays with Dake.  (usually I carry a "temporarily Out Of Order" sign I made in case  we do not have an extra person to watch the door.  I also carry a door stop if it is just me so I can jamb it under the door after we enter to avoid embarrassment.   Believe me I had to learn these tricks the hard way.....another story for another time. I did not have my supplies with me today.)  Anyway back to this story.  I relieved Mom of her post and waited for David to give me the signal when he was finished and needed help with his pants. I waited and one man entered.  And waited and an another man entered.  Then one man came out and I waited. I was starting to get a little concerned at this point. I had looked at all the books surrounding the entrance of the restroom. Trying my best to look non conspicuous as possible while I waited.   My thought was the math did not add up. There should be one more man in the restroom. David puts his finger over his mouth as to shush me and has Dake drive up as close to the outside door as possible. I glance in...(oh, you know you would have too!) fixing Dake's pants at the same time in warp speed. I see these MEN feet with pants bunched around them under the stall. I opened my eyes super wide as to tell David with my eyes, "I am going to kill YOU!"  (He knew exactly what I said. After 29 years of marriage you have these subtleties down to a "T".)
 In the van David explains they were finish 20 minutes before but this man. The guy remained in the stall and was smoking but would not leave.  He did not know what else to do because they were honestly not wanting to stick around. I am still trying to forgive him. (lol) Soon the drama was over and we were on our way.  I was hoping Dake did not get too thirsty on the way home.
Back Home safe and sound but mostly thankful for our blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment